Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sorry I Can't Play with You Like Before

Dear Aidan,

The last 2 months, from May to June, have been a real struggle for Mama.

That's why I know it hasn't been easy for you, too.

We're not just mother and son. (Indeed, we've never been just that.)

We're playmates.

Buddies.

Especially once you're out of school.

One day, you'll understand why mummies with babies in their tummies feel so sick for a while.

It's caused by these things inside our bodies called 'hormones' and it's called 'Morning Sickness' but the not-so-nice feelings can last a whole day.

Like in Mama's case.

It makes me feel like vomiting pretty much throughout the day (which explains the sounds Mama makes every so often, even when I'm reading a story to you).

I hope it will go away completely by early next month, which is August, as we will be going on our first trip long trip of the year - London.

In the mean time, I can sense that you're frustrated that Mama has been unable to play 'battle' with you. Or do any jumping and diving.

Papa, or Professor Evil Von Vegetables, attacks with a cuddle
Hanging out with Theo

Checking out the news of the day
Just remember that it's temporary. And that it is a great way to spend more time together with Papa or your school mates. To learn the concept of 'empathy' and 'consideration'. That when your friends are unwell, too, you have to be patient and let them get better. That you can help an unwell person by being kind and caring to them.

I will tell you, though, that I'm very proud of you because last week, you've been doing exactly that by bringing home little flowers that you picked on your evening walks and cycling trips with Papa.

You have even told me, "Mama, if you feel sick, you don't have to come, okay? See you later!"

I believe with some guidance and lots of explanations over the next few months, you'll be a good 'Koh-koh' to baby Finley.

Meanwhile, it's good to note that you have a sense of humour even in the midst of adjusting to Mama's condition. Here's a conversation we had (1) Over dinner whereby in the midst of chewing on a piece of broccoli, I started gagging and retching.

Mr. Cheeks: Mama! Are you going to vomit?
Me: Mmm...trying not to. Many mummies feel ill when the babies are still very tiny in their tummies. So they will gag or vomit.
Mr. Cheeks: No, I know why you're trying to vomit.
Me: Really? Tell me.
Mr. Cheeks: Babies don't like vegetables.


(2) While doing some colouring together:

Mr. Cheeks: Mama, when 'my' baby is born, I will be a koh-koh?
Me: Yup. What would you call the baby? Any names you like?
Mr. Cheeks: Mmm....
Me: Do you like Atlas? Tobias? Avery?
Mr. Cheeks: No. My baby will be called...Peachy.
Me: Oh that's a girl's name, do you know that?
Mr. Cheeks: Yeah I think it's going to be a girl. 
Me: So it's Peachy Pereira?
Mr. Cheeks: No, it's Peachy Transformer.


New books we've been reading in the last 3 months include Usborne's First Reading series, 'Androcles and the Lion' and 'The Dinosaur Who Lost His Roar'. (I should add that we've been consistently doing phonics together and you're beginning to get the hang of pronouncing words based on the sounds of alphabets, not purely by sight and memory.)

Starting to recognise words and read


No comments: